Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Musings on God and Cosmology

Originally published March 6, 2012

  This is a tale of the birth of an atheist, with cosmology as midwife.

  I was raised in a moderately observant Jewish family. My maternal grandfather, a great influence on my life, set the religious tone for us.  He was trained as a rabbi in the old country but left after seeing one pogrom too many.  Arriving in America in 1896, he found that rabbis were a dime a dozen, became a successful businessman, but remained an observant Jew. He was liberal in his Judaism, never imposing his way of practicing on his children or grandchildren.  I remember once asking him whether I should fast on Yom Kippur.  His reply: "That's between you and God."

  God as a presence just came along with my upbringing. I received about the same amount of religious training as was usual for boys in the same milieu in the late 1930s and early 1940s. It culminated in my bar mitzvah in 1943.  I suppose you could say that I was a God-fearing child, fearing the anthropomorphic and often-malevolent Yahweh of the Old Testament.

  As I aged in a secular society, doubts crept in of course.  I was learning about the universe, just then being understood to have more than only our Galaxy; we gradually found out that there are hundreds of billions of galaxies, each with hundreds of billions of stars.  As a budding scientist/engineer, I couldn't help asking myself whether, as theists would have it, a Creator could be bothered with this speck of dust we call Earth.

  By my twenties I had adopted an Einsteinian view, that God is Order-in-the-Universe. Einstein couldn't abide by the idea that the universe contains the probabilistic maelstrom then being propounded by a new generation of quantum physicists. As he famously said, "God does not play dice with the universe."

  There matters stood with me as I pursued my career and raised a family.  When my children asked whether I believed in God, whether in fact there is a God, I would agnostically hedge by saying that I didn't know.  I asserted that acting in a godly manner would lead to a better life for them.  So I gave them religious training, much attenuated from my own, justifying it by telling them that the cradle of religion would serve them well, especially when they encountered the inevitable crises in their lives.  Even as my agnosticism grew, I continued my own observance, sometimes on Shabbat, always on Yom Kippur, both to set an example for them and because such observance within a community brought some sense of cosmic order and belonging to my own life.

  This pleasant existence was shattered when I hit my own life's worse crisis: my wife Helen was diagnosed with cancer fifteen years ago and died of it a year and a half later; she was only sixty-three.  The comforting structure of religion that I assumed would be the bedrock on which I could stand turned out to be quicksand. Shortly after Helen's death, while attending Yom Kippur services, I looked at the Ark in which God's presence is supposed to dwell and found myself engulfed in the rage of one who has been deceived, or has deceived himself.  Far from being comforted, I was plunged deeper into despair.

  When I emerged from my grieving, I had the time and need to consider more seriously my history of belief and then agnosticism. I felt I had to face the question that has puzzled millennia of humans: where did it all come from?  A standard argument against a Creator as prime cause has been the retort, "Then what was the Creator's cause?"  But cosmology seemed to have no better answer, for one had to ask what was the cause of the Big Bang.  Recent cosmological speculation is beginning to answer that latter question.

  I recently watched a splendid video lecture, then read an equally splendid book, by cosmologist Lawrence M. Krauss, both entitled A Universe from Nothing: Why There Is Something Rather than Nothing. I'm not sure that I get it all, but here's what I take from the book and the video, roughly and in very abridged form. (You should watch the video and/or read the book to get the fuller story.)

  There is a convincing case to be made that our universe is just one in a multiverse, which extends infinitely in time and space. This multiverse is seemingly mostly empty, but actually is filled on the quantum level with a theoretically indicated and experimentally verified quantum froth. In this froth, particle-antiparticle pairs constantly and spontaneously appear and then quickly annihilate each other.  (Einstein was wrong about non-randomness on the quantum scale; quantum phenomena are probabilistic.) 

  In this frothy multiverse, it is likely—in fact certain over a long-enough period of time—that there will be places and times where and when enough particle-antiparticle pairs simultaneously pop into existence that a new universe is born in a big bang such as that which engendered ours. These big bangs are unstable, undergoing the exponential inflation characterizing our own universe in its very early times, with most of the antiparticles (or in other cases possibly most of the particles) being annihilated, leaving a universe of only particles (or antiparticles). 

  Given the infinite extent of space and time in the multiverse, it therefore contains a huge number (even an infinity) of distinct universes. They are all beyond the light horizon from each other--i.e., unable to see each other--because during their inflation their spaces expand, as ours did, more rapidly than the speed of light. (This is allowed by general relativity for the fabric of space, although not for matter and energy.)  

  Krauss differentiates this very strange cosmology from equally strange sorts of theism by making two assertions: (1) so far every scientific measurement and observation we have made in our own universe allows--even points to--this cosmology, (2) no scientific measurements support the possibility of or need for a prime-mover God that started our universe at the time of our Big Bang 13.72 billion years ago (much less the Biblical 6000+ years ago). 
  
  In effect, Krauss answers the questions of when and from what it all started by the mind-blowing statements "never" and "from nothing." The multiverse has always been around, and every once in a while a universe such as ours pops out of the quantum froth.  As Alice might have said, "curiouser and curiouser." 

  But for me this very curious conclusion, or something like it, is much more comforting and coherent than requiring that a Creator or the Big Bang started it all at some initial time.  "It has always been and will always be" appeals more to my sense of order.

  Here's a final irony.  This past Yom Kippur, that solemn day of repentance and forgiveness, I was finally able to forgive God for having taken Helen so early.  After all, in his non-existence he could scarcely have been responsible.  So I was able to attend High Holiday services without animus, after a thirteen-year hiatus rejoining the community to which my grandfather belonged.