Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Changing Gears

  During the summer of 1948, after my freshman year at MIT, I got a job at the ARMA Corporation in Brooklyn.  It was by sheer luck.  I had visited the company where I'd worked as an office boy before college, just to say hello.  One of the secretaries, hearing that I was looking for a summer job, referred me to a friend at ARMA, who was an MIT alumnus.  At 18, I was apparently already part of the MIT old boys' network (there were very few women then at MIT), for after a brief interview I was hired.

  ARMA, a military contractor, was then developing an electromechanical fire-control computer for calculating the settings needed by a submarine's torpedo so as to make it hit a ship whose coordinates, speed and bearing had been entered into the computer along with other data. Electromechanical computers are analog devices that do computations using a mass of motors, shafts, gears and other components.  Each such computer was built for a special purpose, unlike later general-purpose electronic digital computers.  (There were then only a handful of digital computers in the world, each taking a roomful of equipment.)  The torpedo-firing problem would be the only one ARMA's computer would be able to solve.

  My job at first seemed colossally boring.  It was to manually calculate the answers to problems the computer would be asked to solve after it was built, to make sure that it was functioning properly.  Sitting eight hours a day doing such calculations didn't seem like it would be much fun.  But the job paid $27 per week, more than my college-graduate sister was making in the nascent TV industry, so who was I to complain?

  For those who know my current-day aversion to things military, I should give some background for this decidedly war-oriented work.  By the end of World War II in 1945, Eastern Europe was under the control of the USSR.  Defeated Germany had been divided into four zones, administered respectively by the US, the UK, France and the USSR.  Berlin, an enclave deep within the USSR's zone, was similarly divided into four sectors.  The US, UK and France accessed and supplied their Berlin sectors through specified railway lines, roads and canals crossing the USSR's zone of Germany, as well as by air.

  In June 1948, the Soviets suddenly blockaded all surface connections to the western allies' sectors in Berlin, thereby trying to make the western part of the city fully dependent on the USSR for provisioning.  That precipitated the first Cold War crisis.  The US and UK, unwilling to give the Soviets such a stranglehold, pledged to supply the western sectors by air.  During the ensuing 11 months, the Berlin Airlift flew an amazing 200,000 flights to the city, each day providing West Berliners up to 4700 tons of necessities such as fuel and food.  As I daily rode the subway to Brooklyn, I read the New York Times' dispatches on the blockade, along with analyses that pondered whether a hot war with the Soviet Union would erupt.  I felt I was doing a minimal but meaningful job in this internationally tense context.

  As it turned out, the Soviets backed down the following May and lifted the blockade.  A few months later, Germany was formally divided into the Federal Republic of Germany (West Germany} and the German Democratic Republic (East Germany), with Berlin now divided between the two new countries.  Both remained formally occupied until 1955.  I was caught by the irony that, right before my eyes, the western part of a despised former enemy was emerging as an ally of the West, an indispensable "bastion of freedom" against the communist threat.  

  Back to my job at ARMA.  In those days, manual calculations involved parsing a set of equations into a number of steps, calculating each step, recording its intermediate answer on paper, and slowly working up through these steps until getting a final answer.  Each step was carried out by referencing printed tables of mathematical functions and using a desktop Marchant mechanical calculator to do the arithmetic.  Compared to modern electronic calculators, the Marchant was molasses: using a complicated system of rotating gears, it took seconds for an addition or subtraction and ten seconds or more for multiplication and division.  Grinding through even a simple set of equations could take hours, and was very prone to errors.

  I had never used a Marchant, but once I familiarized myself with it, I set about the calculations that I was asked to do.  The trouble was that the answers seemed crazy, for they weren't directing the torpedoes toward the target's coordinates that I had started with.  I was pretty sure that I was making mistakes, and was terrified, spending many days doing fruitless recalculations, and sleepless nights wondering how I could be so in error.

  After what seemed like an eternity, I understood the problem.  The new computer for submarines was based on equations similar to those designed into an existing ARMA computer that controlled the firing of torpedoes from destroyers.  But the two situations had a critical difference.  A destroyer launched torpedoes from port and starboard, a submarine from bow and stern.  The equations for the two cases therefore should have reflected the very different launching symmetries the two types of ship had with respect to their forward-to-aft axes, but they didn't.  On probing, I discovered that the difference involved a single plus sign that should have been a minus sign in the equations I had been given; a change of sign could be implemented in the fire-control computer for submarines by adding a single gear to its design, changing the rotation of a single shaft.  I redid my calculations with the new sign, and they suddenly gave sensible answers.

  At first, no one believed me.  But I persisted in working up through my boss to his boss, and convinced him.  The new gear was added to the computer.  I was ecstatic—my very first contribution to a real-world engineering design!

  As you might imagine, I was fixated on gears that summer, so they became a metaphorical theme for my thinking.   I thought of myself as up-shifting from student engineer to professional engineer.  I  thought of the country's policy toward Germany as slamming into reverse.  Change was exciting, and vivid in my imagination.  

  That exuberant youth was six decades away from being jaded with change and subscribing to the proverb Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.  For him it was still Plus ça change, plus c'est une bonne chose.