Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Getting from A to Z

  Some of us, very methodical in solving problems, get from A to Z in 25 diligently organized steps.  Others get there in intuitive leaps, from A to K, then to Q, then to Z, perhaps backtracking a bit along the way when confused.  Neither process is definitively better, for methodical and intuitive people can be equally creative and successful in working things through.

  I am reminded of the two sons of good friends of mine—call the older S1 and the younger S2.  S1 is  systematic in the way he tackles tasks, S2 is instinctive.  Many years ago, when S1 was about 10 or 11, he got a new computer for Christmas.  As he unpacked it, he immediately went to the instruction manual, not only to check whether all the components were there, but to prepare to assemble them.  S2, three years younger, simply started to plug the parts together and had the computer operational before S1 was even a few pages into the manual.  The two are equally smart.  I used to fault S1 when he wrote an essay because he would assemble more information than he needed to sustain his theme.  I used to fault S2 because he left out convincing arguments that were obvious to him, although maybe not to his audience.

  I am one of those who likes eventually to visit every letter in the alphabet.  If I make an intuitive leap over some of them to enhance my understanding and project my path to Z, I then force myself to go back and systematically fill in the gaps to verify that my intuition hasn't led me astray.  That used to drive my late wife Helen crazy.  If I'd gotten an answer intuitively, she would wonder, why did I waste time shoring up the result analytically?  For her, intuitive leaps sufficed.

  I most assuredly endorse intuition as a method of attacking a problem, especially if it is preliminary to deeper investigation.  One of my postings in March, Intuition and Expertise, was indeed an essay in praise of it.  However, as I said then, I believe that intuition must be informed by expertise, and expertise comes only through arduous practice.  A chessmaster can in a flash intuit the course of a game many moves in advance by just glancing at the board, yet only because of years of hard effort.  An amateur's intuitive move is likely a mere stab in the dark.  Even my friends' son S2 assembled that computer so quickly because he had spent years of his earlier youth plugging electrical circuits together just for the fun of it, so he knew what made sense.

  Helen would also complain when I carefully plotted a route through a strange country, usually planning a fast, minimum-distance drive along autoroutes: A to Z in a trice!  "Why not wander along byways and get lost?" she would say.  "Maybe we'll see some lovely, unexpected sights. We are, after all, tourists!"  Impatient as I habitually was to get to Z, I still had to admit that she had a point, at least for tourism.  When she prevailed over my sense of efficiency, we often did come across beautiful vistas, towns, churches and the like.  It's what I call discovery by meandering.

  Transposed to problem solving, discovery by meandering—in a usually vain hope for serendipity—is an ineffective heuristic.  I liken it to jumping through the alphabet at random, guided neither by method nor intuition, placing one's faith in a stroke of luck.  Even then, one must have a well-honed ability to recognize luck when stumbling upon it, an ability that is itself part of intuition.  Without it, an amateur chess player may miss a lucky opportunity in front of his eyes.  Being truly lucky is largely a matter of preparing one's intuition to take advantage of Fortune when she smiles, not of simply praying that she does.

  In my earlier posting on intuition, I described a grand old professor of mine at MIT, Professor Ernst Guillemin, a master of the intuitive method of teaching and learning.  I remember his presenting a paper at a symposium at a time when younger members of his field had turned toward proving results through methodical sequences of theorems.  He said, "I'm not going to try to present a series of theorems and lemmas to get to my results—I wouldn't know how.  But I'm pretty sure that I will be able to convince you of my results by showing you how intuitively reasonable they are."  And he did.  Because he was a grandmaster with decades of experience, he likely knew that his results were correct because his brain had flashed through all the intermediate steps subconsciously.  And even if he stumbled on a result by sheer luck, he immediately intuitively recognized its worth.

  Few of us are purely methodical or purely intuitive; most are a combination of the two.  Although some at the intuitive extreme, like Professor Guillemin, will be inclined to leave it to others to fill in the gaps to their satisfaction, most will themselves backfill with careful analysis.  Those toward the methodical extreme will usually be unsatisfied with a result unless it also appeals to their intuition.  I like to think that I fall about halfway along the spectrum, mixing intuition and method in equal measures. 

  Were Helen alive today, I imagine she would disagree with my self-assessment, instead placing me squarely among those who address life systematically at every step.  Luckily for me, that's probably one of the reasons I was able to catch her in the first place—I guess she intuitively wanted someone she could count on to methodically conduct our affairs.  If so, it was a good trade-off, for I much needed the spontaneity she brought me, which I now sorely miss.