Wednesday, October 31, 2012

A Tale of Two Campuses

  I spent my first 26 years on the East Coast—the first 17 of them in New York City and nine in the Boston area.  Anyone who has lived in both knows how dissimilar they are.  New York is a frenetic, stressful, 24-hour-a-day place. Boston is relatively staid and laid-back, rolling up its sidewalks at 11 pm.  After a youth spent in New York's maelstrom, I really cottoned to Boston's relative tranquility.

  For the next 56 years, my home has been in California—49 of them in the Bay Area, the remaining seven, in two periods, in Los Angeles.  LA is a turbulent, can-do city, full of color and zest, having the tone of Hollywood.  San Francisco is more decorous, having the tone of its business district.  After spending my initial four years in California at a company in hurly-burly LA, I was glad in 1960 to move to the more-measured north, where I took up a teaching position at the University of California at Berkeley.

  The campuses of the University of California at Berkeley and Los Angeles reflect the same north/south differences, each adopting the flavor of its surrounding area.  UCLA is a pulsing, can-do organization; UCB is much more constrained.  I was particularly well placed to make an apples-to-apples comparison between the two, for while I was chairman of UCB's Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Sciences in the early 1980s, I was recruited to be dean of UCLA's School of Engineering and Applied Science (SEAS).  Which campus did I prefer?  Read on.

  An initial experience at UCLA quickly drove home its difference from UCB.  As the 1983 holiday season approached, my first at UCLA, I decided to give a party to introduce myself to several of SEAS' constituencies—faculty, staff, alumni, donors, industrial friends, etc.  At UCB, I knew that an expenditure for such an event would be limited to a relatively small maximum amount per person, so I asked my Associate Dean how much I could spend.  He was puzzled.  What did I mean?  Apparently there was no cap at UCLA other than what reason might dictate.  (I believe that the UCLA Foundation could be counted on to subsidize such events beyond whatever University-wide constraints may have existed, on the assumption that they helped draw in donations.)

  My wife Helen asked the Chancellor's wife to suggest a caterer; when contacted, he said that as a ***special introductory offer*** to SEAS he would serve hors d'oeuvres and wine with a wait-staff for only $25 per person, but I would have to buy the wine separately.  I blanched (remember that this was almost 30 years ago) and quickly went back to the Associate Dean for a sanity check.  "No problem," he said.  "That's normal around here."  So I decided to go for broke.  I brought in roulette, blackjack and craps tables and their croupiers, and gave everyone scrip to gamble with, offering prizes to those ending up with the most scrip.  I invited about 500 people.  I strove for the sheer LA razzle-dazzle I saw all around me, and people loved it.  I was exhilarated by the splash it made.

  The party cost about $20,000, probably more than ten times what I had spent on entertainment during my entire three years as chairman at UCB.  (In the University's current straitened circumstances, I doubt if anyone could get away with that amount now, even at UCLA.)  More telling, I can attribute some two to three million dollars of contributions to SEAS over the next year or two directly to contacts, relationships and the "go for it!" image I created at that party.  Not a bad return on investment!  Would that money have flowed in anyway?  I believe not, for annual contributions to SEAS had traditionally been very much smaller.  I was learning a Los Angeles truism, that money begets money.

  Other activities at UCLA had the same can-do attitude.  When I had an idea that needed funding, I had almost immediate access to the Chancellor.  If he liked it, he would turn to one of his vice-chancellors and say, "Let's find the money and get this done!" and we would be off and running.  In contrast, I'd found the usual response to a novel idea at UCB, after working it through a deep hierarchy, was a list of reasons why it couldn't or shouldn't be done.

  Nothing is perfect, though—there's always a flip side.  In this case, I felt that UCLA's procedure for appointment and advancement of faculty members was deficient.  At the time, and maybe even now, initial appointments to the assistant professorship and biennial in-rank step increases were approved by deans.  Fuller evaluations by a committee made up of faculty members drawn from the campus at large were widely spaced—the first when a candidate was up for tenure, as much as eight years after hiring, and later ones only for promotions between ranks.  Contrarily, at UCB every appointment, in-rank step-increase and promotion case is stringently reviewed by a campus committee, which thereby imposes a tough uniformity of hurdles that must be jumped by all faculty members campuswide.  In my view, UCLA's largely localized screening procedure led to a weaker faculty, which had to affect the quality of teaching and research and the recruiting of the best students.

  Another downside was personal: the impossibility of buying a house near UCLA as good as the one Helen and I owned near UCB.  Such a house would cost three times what the Berkeley house was worth, at a time when prime rates were over 10%.  Even the can-do UCLA couldn't cut that problem down to size, so my fantasy stay in La-La Land ended after three years, when I decided to return to Berkeley and UCB.

  In my memory's coloring book, I have painted UCLA with magenta, chartreuse and cyan, and used muted shades of gray with hints of pastel for UCB.  Perhaps the vastly different approaches those colorings represent are what makes the University of California system as a whole such a variegated power house.   After all, what can be more impressive than the fact that five of the nine UC general campuses are ranked among the top ten public universities in the U.S., with UCB and UCLA ranked first and second, respectively? 

  I count myself very fortunate to have had the opportunity of working at both campuses.  Did I have a preference?  Well, I loved both the razzmatazz of being an administrator at UCLA and the cloistered serenity of my teaching and research days at UCB.  All said and done, it was a draw—my times at the two campuses were equally great chapters in a cherished academic career.